The major nutrient in red rice is anthocyanin, which is a health-promoting compound. It is what lends this rice a rich red colour, and also has the capacity to lower blood pressure, prevent diabetes, improve vision, and reduce cancer cells. Besides, it also has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
Red rice benefits range from organ health to skin and more. Some of them are-
- Controls Blood Sugar Glucose: Rice remains a forbidden food for diabetics. But, red rice is known to have a glycemic index of approximately 55, which makes it a good choice for diabetics. High sugar levels impact all major organs adversely and can lead to many health complications. Red rice benefits for diabetes also include lower insulin levels and feeling satiated for longer intervals.
- Better Bone health: Red rice benefits those battling the onset of arthritis, osteoporosis and other bone disorders with its high calcium and magnesium content.
- Weight Loss trigger: The common notion is to cut down on rice if you are trying to lose some pounds. But that holds true only for the polished white varieties. Adding red rice to your meals keeps you satiated for longer,thus lowering hunger pangs. It is low on carbs and fat and can be a great lunch and dinner companion.
- Better digestion: Soluble and insoluble fibre add to the great health benefits of red rice as they aid better digestion. The digestive fibres ensure better bowel movement and absorption of nutrients. Plus, when cooked well, red rice can be used to treat both diarrhoea and constipation.
- Stay younger for longer: Anthocyanin present in red rice is a natural antioxidant that can prevent premature ageing of the skin and keep you looking younger for longer. With its iron and vitamins, red rice benefits in reducing the effects of UV induced skin problems from exposure to sun rays. These also help in the production of red blood cells in the body that are essential for good skin health.
- Promotes a healthy heart: Red rice is a whole grain that is believed to bring down the bad cholesterol in the body.This prevents clogged arteries and resultant heart ailments that could prove fatal.
- Better lung health: With the Corona pandemic, the importance of lung health has increased manifold. Those with chronic asthma or a history of pneumonia continue to be in the high risk category even now. The health benefits of red rice lend a helping hand in increasing oxygen consumption because of the presence of magnesium. This improves breathing capacity and circulation of oxygen throughout the body. Being magnesium-rich, red rice benefits great pulmonary function and boosts general mood & energy too.
- Immunity Booster: Red rice contains selenium which fights infections in the body and antioxidants and magnesium that prevent and cure various ailments.
- Vitamin B6 rich: Vitamin B6 is crucial in DNA synthesis and to make red blood cells. The human body cannot make this vitamin on its own, and thus depends on external sources for it. The red rice nutritional value chart shows a considerable presence of B6 among other vitamins, and can help prevent chronic illnesses with regular consumption.
How to cook
- Wash the red rice in a pan three times and soak the rice in water for one hour.
- Drain the soaked rice and transfer it to a pressure cooker.
- Add 1 part rice to 2 parts water and place this in a pressure cooker
- Cook the rice on a high flame for one whistle.
- Lower the flame and cook for three more whistles.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally